Monday, October 13, 2014

Holding High Notes



Hello amazing family!

Well, this was a great week!

It started off on a really high note with an awesome district meeting lead by Elder Klein. He
asked all of us to come prepared to share a favorite scripture and our testimony about the Atonement. It was one of the most powerful district meetings I have ever experienced. Everyone shared powerful testimonies and gave wonderful insights. I felt the Spirit so strongly in that meeting and I just felt so full of joy and gratitude to our Savior, Jesus Christ! I am so happy and so honored that I get to represent Him and share His joyful message with the world!! I also just love the people that I serve with. Sister Ference and all of the elders in our district are just amazing and have such burning testimonies and awesome desires to give it their all in this work! It's so amazing to be serving here with them all. I am so blessed! 

So, I'll update you on a couple of investigators:

First of all, Sister Fanta was baptized! She has amazing faith. She's had quite a few obstacles to overcome, including her disapproving family and her terrible fear of water. She decided she wanted to be baptized, no matter the sacrifice, and then had a dream that confirmed her decision. So, Saturday between conference sessions Sister Fanta was baptized! It was a little traumatic, she was literally crying because she was so scared of the water, but she was just fine, and came out of the font so happy. She described the experience as "beautiful" so I think it went well. And she gave a wonderful, sincere testimony afterwards. Such a happy day! Also, on Sunday each of the elder companionships had at least one baptism. So, there were six investigators baptized this last weekend and we are all so happy and so grateful. All of these people are so solid and have such great faith. It really is so amazing. We were so happy. So happy in fact, that we tim tam slammed last night, as well! It is so humbling to see these people accept the Gospel, change their lives completely and make the necessary sacrifices to become a member of this church. It is such a testimony booster to me to see the people feel the Spirit and follow Him. I love being a missionary so much!

Brother Manid is doing sooo well! He has a date to be baptized on the 26th (because he's going to be out of town next week for a wedding). He absolutely LOVED conference, especially President Monson's talk. Brother Manid is 80 years old, but he is up to date with his technology! With every speaker at conference he would look up their biography on his iphone on lds.org. Then in between sessions he sat in the chapel, plugged in his earphones and watched mormon messages on his phone. He is so awesome. He's the sweetest man. So happy for him!

We have other investigators that are progressing, but I’ll write more about them once we get to teach them more. Oh, I’ll tell you about this one guy named Boat really quick. So, Sister Ference contacted into him and he agreed to meet with us at the church. When we called to confirm the appointment he asked if the church was beautiful and we told him it is very beautiful. He showed up to his appointment all dressed up, make-up, hair and all, ready to take pictures for college graduation. So that day we had both a photo shoot and a first lesson. haha Went pretty well, he wants to be baptized. We just need to teach him the commandments so he knows what he's committing to. Anyway, that's brother Boat!  

On Wednesday night we got to go to the farewell of Sister Pookie and Brother Bow. They are siblings both heading to the states on their missions. They both left yesterday to go to the MTC in Provo. Sister Pookie is going to NYC, and Brother Bow is going to San Diego! I am so excited for them! It was so fun to go spend a little time with them and with the members of the ward. They've got quite the adventure ahead of them! I hope they adjust to the states well. Yesterday they were practicing listening to conference in English. Can't wait to hear how they're doing!

On Friday we went to Chiang Rai to do a switch-off with the sisters! It was so much fun. I went with Sister Sawangwong and Sis. Ference went with Sis. Barber. It was so good to spend time with Sister Sawangwong. I really have missed her, but I've been lucky to have lived with her again in Khon Kaen, and to serve together here in the Chiang Mai zone. Anyway, we did a lot of inviting and visiting less actives, which turned into a fun little adventure out in the boonies! So, Chiang Rai is quite different than I expected. I thought it would be much more mountainous. There are definitely mountains, but they are way out in the distance. Chiang Mai is much closer to the mountains than Chaing Rai. Where we went out to find LA's it was very lush and jungley. Soooo cool! I tried to capture some pictures. Honestly, it reminded me of the Isaan, but a little prettier. 

We met with a 14 year old less active named Chompuu. Her mother was there as well. Her mom used to be a Thai dancer and I was asking her about it. She let me try on her fake nails and then taught me how to dance. Sis. Sawangwong videoed it, so I'll show you when I get home. It was way fun! I've always kind of wanted to do that! The only reason Chompuu wasn't coming to church was because she couldn't wake up. So, she agreed to let Sister Sawangwong call her and wake her up on Sundays. 

Anyway, it was so fun to meet members in Chiang Rai. We had a great time and I learned a lot from Sis. Sawangwong and Sis. Barber. Love the sisters in our zone! They are all such amazing missionaries! Lucky me I get to serve with them all.

This weekend was absolutely wonderful! I just loved conference so much! So many amazing talks. I feel like I really felt the emphasis on following and sustaining our dear prophet and being obedient to the commandments. Amazing conference, I'm excited to go back and study it. And it was so good for our investigators to hear. They all really loved it!

This week was amazing. So many blessings and miracles. I am just so happy and I love my mission so much! I love this Gospel and I love my Savior. I am so grateful for this time to share his message and help people have happier lives and receive salvation. Does it get better than that?! 

Thank you all so much for your love and support and encouragement and prayers. I love you all so much!

Have an amazing week! 

Love, 
Liz