Monday, January 13, 2014

Chocolate Ville and Children's Day


Hello hello hello!

I hope Sam has an awesome time at mission prep! What do they do for that? I've never really been to one for the stake. I think it would be so fun to teach mission prep when I get back and share all my crazy stories and get kids excited for missions!

Also, good luck to Samuel with finals! You will survive!

Today we had planned to go to the Crocodile museum to go ride elephants; however, the government has shut down the roads in BKK so we can't really leave our area. :( Maybe next week? Sister S is going to teach us how to make Thai food, though! Tell Daniel that it WILL happen! I will ride an elephant in the near future!

 Okay, so this was a great week!

Last Monday after emails we went shopping at the Minburi market. I got some fun stuff to send/ bring home! We also had FHE in Lad Phrao. The traffic was waaaay bad though. That's something I need to remember to take into account here now. haha

On Tuesday English class was really fun! The Lao Elders have come up with a new program that is more interactive and fun. We even got to watch clips from Tangled! So, I'm enjoying teaching English a lot more!

Last week I contacted into a lady who's a leader of a Roman Catholic church here. She invited us to come share our beliefs with her. I was nervous a little bit because we never really teach Christians. I haven't been taught how to teach Christians! haha Anyway, we shared from the Bible and Book of Mormon and shared the restoration message. It went fine and she and her son had a lot of great questions. They invited us to come back and share whenever we want. I don't think they're that interested, but they're super friendly and welcoming.

One day we didn't know where we wanted to go street contacting, so Sister S decided to take me to "Chocolate Ville!" I had no idea what on earth that was, but it sounded pretty good to me! So, after a 45 minute walk we finally made it there. Turns out it’s a little replica of a 50's style American town. It's way cute! However, it was closed. So, we did not have any success there. But it definitely made me miss home!

This week we got an online referral and we were able to set up an appointment with him. He'd been to English in Chaengwatna and wanted a Book of Mormon. So, we met with him, introduced the Book of Mormon and scheduled an appointment for this week. We'll see where that goes!

We also got a referral from a lady in our ward. She's friend of a less active member. We were able to give an introductory lesson and schedule another appointment for this week also.

Also, last week I contacted into a lady who wasn't that interested in our message, but her 16 year old daughter is! The mom is way supportive of her learning with us and we taught them two days ago. I'm really excited. I think the daughter really liked learning, coming to the church, and wants to keep meeting! So excited!

Yesterday at church I sat by one of the Elders' new investigators. They contacted her on the street and invited her to church. She came, had lots of great questions, and seemed to enjoy it. She asked me "When do we know when we're suppose to be baptized?" Whoa! Right now! haha

These are just a few of the awesome things that happened this week. I can definitely see God's hand in our little area here. It really is amazing. So grateful for His help and guidance in helping people come to Christ. We are seeing miracles!

This week we Skype-taught Nadia and she gave us a tour of her house. (She lives down in the South Panhandle.) She's doing really well!

Sister NamLeg really wants to understand our lessons completely and she decided that she will be ready to be baptized on the 26th!

Also, yesterday Sister Boat was confirmed a member of the church! Happy day!

Oh, also! Really good news! In Mahasarakham Sister Bu finally got baptized! Sooooo excited and so happy!

Okay, other fun things this week:

Saturday was national Children's Day! All the little เด็กๆ s had a great day receiving gifts, candy, balloons, etc… So, Daniel.... Happy Children's Day! Way fun!

The other day I contacted into a falang from Texas. We've actually talked before. He told me that we missionaries haven't always had a great reputation in the past and then compared us to the Crusaders. "Kill for Christianity!" haha I explained that's definitely not our approach. We work hard to share our message but we do not force it on anyone. Interesting.

At church yesterday I translated for a Sister from China who only speaks Chinese and English. She's way cute. I'm not a good translator. Pretty sure I made up at least half of what was said. haha Also, as I was translating in Relief Society the teacher asked me to come up to explain something. I hadn't really heard what she was talking about because I was explaining something to the lady I was translating for. Anyway, I went up, the teacher handed me a microphone and asked me to talk about "personal beings." She'd written it in English on the board and wanted me to explain it. I had no clue what she was going for and looked like a complete fool trying to come up with something. haha I'm sure the RS was way confused. 

This week I finally found someone here selling my favorite taro banana leaf treat that I used to buy in Sarakham! Made my day!

Also, I think today I had the most confusing language study of my mission. Try reading 2 Nephi 13 in another language. It makes no sense. I was reading it and didn't understand any of it. So, I pulled out my English scriptures and figured out why- it's all about bonnets, mufflers, tinkling of feet, etc.... haha Made me laugh!

Anyway, Mom, you asked if I am a city mouse or a country mouse. I'd say in non-missionary life I'm still definitely a country mouse. However, as a missionary, I LOVE the city. I feel like I'm able to accomplish a lot in a day and I feel like I'm actually making a difference here! I love it! So grateful to be in Bangkapi right now! Heavenly Father really is blessing us!

Here's a quote from Elder Ballard in "Our Search for Happiness" that I really like:
"The Gift of the Holy Ghost intensifies our relationship with that member of the Godhead. In a way, it is like living next door to the firehouse. Although everyone is entitled to the fire department services, the safest person in town is the one who lives next door to the fire station. And that's what the gift of the Holy Ghost does, it makes Him a part of our lives." I was so excited when Sister Boat received this Gift yesterday. She's going to have that constant companionship, safety, and comfort for the rest of her life if she stays worthy of it! Amazing! God blesses us in so many ways.

I love you all so much and I love being a missionary! Have an awesome amazing week! 

Love you!

Liz :)