Friday, December 27, 2013

Angels We Have Heard in Thai

Hello Family!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS! So, I'm going to try and write down a few things before we SKYPE!!

The last week and a half has been a whirlwind and I don't even know where to start! So, you already know I'm in the big BKK! Wahoo! And I have a Thai companion named Sister Sawangwong who just finished being trained. She's the best. She's from Ubon.

I'll back-track a bit, though. On Tuesday night we headed out for BKK. The Elders bought our tickets, and for some reason they got the 6:45 pm ticket, which means we got to BKK at about 2 am... haha So, we found a taxi to take us to the transfer meeting church. One of the missionaries in that area was apparently supposed to come open the church for us, however, they wouldn't answer our calls. So, we sat on the lawn in front of the Changwattna church building for 2 or 3 hours and played games. We had a few confused police men come and talk to us, and we assured them we were fine and we weren't doing anything sketchy. Just sitting alongside the highway with all our suticases at 3 am... not iffy at all. haha

Anyway, we finally got in around 4 am and then slept on the couch cushions. It made for a fun little adventure! But we were all pretty tired!

However, transfers was SOOOOO fun! There were so many people there! I got to see so many friends. Got to talk with Sister Mullen for a long time too. She's doing so great! Big news: they opened up Gamphengphet to missionaries. Sister M's family is from there, she was so excited and so happy!

So, I got assigned to Bangkapi in Bangkok and I am beyond excited! I was kind of nervous to leave the Esan. It's all I've experienced so far, but I absolutely love Bangkok! I don't think I've ever been so happy! I've been here one week and we've already seen so many miracles. But I'll get to all that later.

Sister Sawangwong is awesome! She's 22 years old, from Ubon, and adorable. She is quite a hoot and is really fun. She was trained here in Bangkapi, so it's really great because she already knows the ward and everybody. Yes, Bangkapi is a ward! And a very high-functioning one, too. The bishop is way with it and the ward members are way helpful. I think I started crying a bit when we had our first correlation meeting! It was so organized and productive. I was completely blown away. 

Also, the Bishop has a daughter that lives in Moab. I'll have to get more info on that.

Anyway, in Bangkabi there are 6 elders (they just added in another pair). One set of them also looks after Lad Phrao. They are all great!

Going inviting and contacting here is sooooo fun because there are sooooo many people! I've never been able to get so many telephone numbers from people before. It's amazing. One lady that I talked to is coming to church! That has never happened before.

Okay, Saturday we had a super fun Christmas party! They definitely go all out here. They had a stage set up for the ward members to perform music while we all ate. We had a whole bunch of little skits, and then a live nativity. I got roped into being an angel and had to sing with 4 other angels... haha. Too bad I don't know the words to "Angels we Have Heard on High" in Thai. It was way fun, though!

Okay, so get this. On Sunday this 16 or 17 year old girl randomly walks into church. We meet her and she told us she just wanted to know more about our church. She's Christian already. She stayed for all three hours, lunch, and then the Elder's baptism. Afterwards we taught her and she accepted a date to be baptized on the 5th of next month! Miracle! I didn't know things like that could happen! We've met with her several times since and she's doing great.

Also, we have dater named Nadia. She loves the gospel! She's returning to her home in the south panhandle for a few months, though. So, we want her to be baptized on the 5th. She's leaving on the 3rd, but she thinks she may be able to change her flight. Praying that happens!

Yesterday a random investigator that hadn't been progressing called and said she wanted to learn that day. So, we met with her and gave her a date for the 19th of Jan to be baptized. She accepted and said she's coming to church! 

Ahhhhhh! This is more action in one week than I have seen in the last 6 months! This place is awesome and God is really blessing us!

Oh, this made me laugh. We went to church in Bangkapi, and Lad Phrao, also. Lad Phrao is just a unit right now with about 20 people and it is trying to become a branch. Anyway, someone forgot the bread. So we used chocolate oreos for the sacrament. Never seen that before. Tasty! haha


On Monday we got to go to Asoke with all the Bangkok missionaries for a Christmas lunch/ party with President and Sister Senior! Sooooo much fun! We took a boat down a sewege canal to get there. Pretty stinky but super fun. We had an amazing lunch at a really hi-so hotel and then went to the Asoke chapel for some thoughts from the Seniors. Then we decorated Christmas cookies! Amazing! After we went Christmas caroling with the ward! 

I love you! TTYsoon!

Love,

Liz