Monday, December 16, 2013

Lessons from Mahasarakham



Hello KrccbKhrua!

CANNOT WAIT FOR THE SKYPE CALL!!

We'll probably know about who's being transferred sometime today or tomorrow. Hopefully today because transfers is actually on Wednesday instead of Thursday so that President Senior can go to all the zones and visit all the missionaries before Christmas. So, we'll probably be heading down to BKK tomorrow sometime! And we don't have the official word, but I'm 99.99999% sure I'll be moving.

So, today we had the first rainstorm this transfer! Crazy considering we never used to dry off from all the rain during rainy season!  And as much as I hate to admit it, I think I am becoming wimpy to cold weather. Today I stepped outside to go do my laundry and it was soooo cold! Surely this is the coldest it's ever been since I've been here! When I looked at the thermometer outside our door it was 65 degrees. Normally 65 degrees= shorts weather back at home. Today we are both wearing cardigans and raincoats.

So, this was a great week!

Last week I talked about our English investigators  that are reading the Book of Mormon. On Tuesday they came to class and U. had read all of 1 Nephi and F. had read 1 Nephi 2 (what we assigned)! Also, another girl from English class, K., had read the first 30 pages! Amazing! Miracles! 

Sister Bu is doing great!! She came to church this week! Best feeling ever! She's really loving that we are learning to crochet from her. My bag thing looks hideous but she is always so excited when we bring in our projects to ask questions and get help. 

So, On Wednesday we had training from the Zone Leaders. President's goal is for all the companionships to have a "White Christmas" meaning 2 weeks of balanced key indicators, as well as one baptism and one save. In the month of "Bovember" the goal was to have 86 baptisms, we way over-shot that by getting 110. So, President's goal for January is for the mission to have 200 baptisms! Completely unheard of but sooooo exciting! That means each companionship needs to have two baptisms. I'm really nervous but way excited! Going to do everything I possibly can to achieve these goals!!

Okay, so we introduced "spoons" at FHE. It was a hit! Advice to soon-to-be missionaries: bring games! We somehow are always in charge of the games and I am running out of ideas. (At least in Thailand there always has to be a game!!)

Anyway, on Friday I went on a switch-off with Sister Packard to Roi Et. It was way fun! There is a set of Elders and the Zone Leaders in Roi Et. A lady in the ward had a big lunch for us 6 missionaries and it was so fun. I felt bad Sister Painter missed out on it. After that we were able to teach quite a few lessons, which really gave me hope. I feel like it's been so long since I've really taught lessons. All our investigators are eternal investigators and we're having a bit of a time finding new ones. So, it was way fun! We also did a bit of inviting and went and got Swensens. Fun day! Sister Packard is awesome. She came in 6 weeks after me. She's way on top of it and super cute with people. She's also a master bike rider. She forgot to put on her neon vest, so while she was biking she pulled it out of her purse and put it on, never touching the handlebars. Impressed มาก! haha We had a great time!

I realized when I got back, though, how much I'm going to miss Sister Crockett! I just love her to death! We've had such a fun transfer together. I've decided it really doesn't matter where you are, if you have an awesome companion every day is great. She's such a great teacher and is so encouraging all the time. I love listening to her teach. I also feel like we are way in sync when it comes to teaching, we just worked well together. She's so sweet and so much fun. I don't want to leave! We decided that we should both just be transferred to Chiang Mai together! haha

Yesterday I made the rounds and went and visited a ton of people since I'll be moving. I'm going to miss these amazing people so much! What a blessing to have served here and to know these people.

I was thinking back on my time here in Mahasarkham and what I've learned. I am still mulling it all over in my mind but here are a few things:

1. Hard consistent work... even though many times nothing seems to come from it, just going out and working as hard as you can helps you still feel fulfilled.
2. Noticing the small little miracles in every day. God helps us in so many ways, but sometimes it takes a real careful eye to notice them. We see miracles every day!
3. Pretend like everything you're about to go do is fun! haha Sometimes you just don't want to get out of bed and face the day, but if you just tell yourself it's going to be fun, well, it usually is! 
4. Have faith in the Lord's will and timing. Lots of times I feel like things should have happened that didn't. However, when I know that I've done everything I know how to do and that I tried my very best, then I feel okay and trust that the Lord will do things in His own time.
5. Don't be afraid to be bold! We have the best message in the world and there's no reason to be shy about it or to worry what people will think. Help people make the necessary changes in their lives, even if it's going to be hard for them!!
6. Make sure your companion is your best friend.
7. Pray for miracles every day and expect them to happen... because they do!!
8. Don't take things too seriously and just enjoy the crazy things that happen daily (hourly).

I know there's more, but those are just off the top of my head. I should have brought my journal!

Anyway, ต่อไป, yesterday the Wrights had us over for dinner. Fajitas and lemonade with pumpkin cookies for dessert. In heaven! Afterwards we played a game and then shared a little spiritual thought. I really felt the Spirit there and was grateful for that.

I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY!

I love you all sooooo much! Next time we talk, it'll be FACE TO FACE!!

Love,

Liz :)